Pajero NP roll bar - mine site regs

Submitted: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 10:32
ThreadID: 12593 Views:2812 Replies:2 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all
I'm going to be living and working in the Karratha (WA) area soon and will be spending some time on mine sites.
The vehicle access rules have been for some time that if it's a 4wd, it must have a roll bar. This came about years ago I believe because of the number of Hi-luxes (or "Roll-luxes" as they came to be known) and troopies etc that ended up on their roofs. Mainly after being driven by clowns who didn't care much as it "wasn't their vehicle, let's see what she'll do".
You generally have to do a 4wd course as well to be allowed to drive on the mine site. Not arguing about that bit.
The silly part is, if it's a 2wd you don't need a bar or driver training. So you can load a normal ute to the gunnels, and drive anywhere, no problems.
I've tried pointing out that a) The Pajero is safer to drive on gravel than any ute or Commodore etc could ever be and b) There is simply no room to fit a roll bar.
All to no avail. "Nah, mate. She's gotta front diff, ya gotta have a bar"

So the question is, anyone ever seen a roll bar that might fit a NP Pajero, and still leave the vehicle useable for back seat passengers?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Davoe - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 11:16

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 11:16
This is obviosly your first dealings with mine site regs my tip is dont try and make sense of any of it because you will go crazy every site is different and it seems many try and outdo the others with dumbest ideas you will also go crazy with inductions with some sites requiring 4 days or more of inductions my last site included a lightning danger induction so you knew what to do if you saw lighrning (I worked my whole shift underground)
AnswerID: 57146

Follow Up By: Member - Bradley- Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 11:21

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 11:21
he he, you should work on boral sites, You have to watch the induction video on every site, the grouse thing is that it is the same vid. over and over and over.....don't matter if you have seen it ten times in the last couple of months, you gota watch it..
FollowupID: 318887

Follow Up By: Rosscoe - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 12:18

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 12:18
Try BlueScope Steel. They check your tyre pressures in the car park. Workers comp on your way to work!
Even if you're a contactor/consultant and not directly employed by the used to be "Big Australian"
FollowupID: 318894

Follow Up By: Member - Russell - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 12:32

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 12:32
Unfortunately Davoe, far from first time dealing with these clowns. I had hoped common sense was creeping back in, but someone obviously found out and stopped that.
I had a laugh with your lightning danger induction though! So what do you do when you see lightning? Find a taller bloke to stand next to?

I might become unpopular with some for saying this, but this is typical of the safety people you get these days - all encompassing, blanket rules with no common sense.
And remember, they're all "advisors" now, not safety officers. In other words they can spout complete c**p, and don't have to take any responsibility themselves.
FollowupID: 318895

Follow Up By: Davoe - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 13:24

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 13:24
Worst thing was that it is true that part of the induction came about after a shift boss and 2 other people were inspecting a tailings dam with storm activity off in the distance then (apparantly) there was 1 bolt of lightning with none before or after that killed the shift boss (obviosly not a regular churchgoer) so instead of determining that when your time is up there is not much you can do they made it part of the induction
- if you hear it fear it
- if you see it flee it
now while i dont stand on beaches fishing during storms i dont live in mortal fear of lightning strikes
oh and by the way wouldnt have a clue bout roll bars for paj's
FollowupID: 318901

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 22:20

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 22:20
Russel.
It sounds like a token gesture is what is required here. I had a similar set up on a big project, what I did was to remove the front seats and place angle iron under the seat runners with about 100mm sticking out the back of the seat, then bent up a loop to weld on to the anges that went almost to the roof just behind the seats. Never got to find out if it worked but it got the safety people of my back. Eric.
AnswerID: 57250

Follow Up By: Member - Russell - Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 22:36

Tuesday, May 04, 2004 at 22:36
Eric!!
You should be ashamed of yourself!! You obviously had a mis-spent childhood!
All though.....come to think of it...that's nowhere near as silly as it sounds. You've got me thinking about permanently fixed, low profile, floor mounted brackets, and a quick connect / dis-connect bar. It could be fed in through the rear doors for the one day out of 5 or so that I have to go to site. Maybe a slide in, slide out arrangement.
It could even be something quite substantial and not entirely useless or false.
Good one Eric!

Regards
Russell
FollowupID: 318989

Follow Up By: Davoe - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 09:38

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 09:38
dont forget to wrap foam arouand the bar or someone could hit their head on it!
FollowupID: 319022

Follow Up By: Member - Pesty (SA) - Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 18:51

Wednesday, May 05, 2004 at 18:51
Buy an old cruiser ute or some other s/h 4by and just set that up for site work and leave the good 4by for all other stuff.
FollowupID: 319078

Sponsored Links